The name comes from the Sanskrit words Shiro (head) and Dhara (flow). Shirodhara helps in invigorating the mind and bringing oneness in the body.
In Shirodhara gently oil/decoction/milk/buttermilk is poured over the forehead or the third eye in a particular to and from motion from certain height using a special instrument Dhara-yantra. This oil is allowed to flow over the scalp with gentle head massage.
Depending upon the type of problem or need of the patient the following types of Shirodhara may be performed:
- Shirodhara with herbal Oils
- Shirodhara - Takra (Decoction of Butter Milk + Herbs)
Typical Duration is 45 minutes
Shirodhara helps to calm the nervous system and following are major benefits:
- Releases mental stress, anxiety and depression
- Promotes deep relaxation and brings calmness in mind
- Controls graying of hair
- Increases Concentration
- Enhances Memory (Esp. Package for kids preparing Exams)
- Induces Sleep
- Strengthens the nervous system
- Benefits memory and alertness
- Brings clarity and strength to the senses
- Supports balance of the brain’s chemistry and hormones
To get the best results from therapy, please avoid using mobile phone for watching texts/video etc. for half hour. And it’s best to keep the head covered for a half hour with the old towel or cloth etc. If you can wait, wash your hair the next day.
- Cover head to protect it from air and cold drafts. Try to keep the oil in the hair overnight, put a towel on your pillow to protect your linens.
Please Note: Shirodhara also helps to cure Neurological disease like Depression, Parkinson’s disease , Migraine etc. but for these therapies, we recommend to consult with our doctors at AyuLife Clinic and chose the proper treatment procedures.
You might also like