Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the ring of muscle between the esophagus and stomach.
Gastroesophageal refers to the stomach and esophagus.
Reflux means to flow back or return.
Therefore, Gastroesophageal reflux is the return of the stomach's contents back up into the esophagus.
In normal digestion, the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) opens to allow food to pass into the stomach and closes to prevent food and acidic stomach juices from flowing back into the esophagus.
Gastroesophageal reflux occurs when the LES is weak or relaxes inappropriately, allowing the stomach's contents to flow up into the esophagus.
As per Ayurveda, Acid Reflux is caused when the Pitta becomes imbalanced. Pitta is located in the stomach and is symbolized as a sharp, intense, hot and acidic energy.
Following methods may be adapted for easing the GERD or Acidity problems :
- Have half glass of cold milk without sugar to ease the acidity.
- Take some Ghee with hot milk in the food as Ghee acts as Laxative.
- Avoid Tea and Coffee.
- Avoid Noodles made in vinegar, citrus juices, tomatoes, chilies, onions, garlic, alcohol and fried food
- Stress and some pain killers also increase the acidity.
- Limit uncooked salads, fatty or fried foods, mustard, vinegar, tomato sauce,
- Do not consume alcohol, citrus products, garlic, onion, carbonated drinks and caffeine.