Gastritis is a common name for inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach, which is known as the mucosa. It is characterized by severe stomach ailments like cramps in the stomach, diarrhea and constipation and even blood with the stools. In Ayurveda, gastritis is known as “Urdhavaga Amalapitta”.
It is a condition which is very troublesome and if left untreated, it may give rise to many complications like stomach ulcers. And these ulcers can be fatal.
Causes of Gastritis
- Unhealthy eating habit.
- Irregular and over eating.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Eating a lot of spicy and greasy foods
- Toxins produced due to the infections give rise to gastritis.
- Some Drugs have side affects such as aspirin
- Stress, worry and anxiety
Ayurveda Therapy to Gastritis
According to Ayurveda, the gastric disorder is due to the vitiation of the pitta. All food items which are likely to aggravate pitta must be strictly avoided. it is based on Naturopathy wherein the care need to be taken for the food.
- Spicy, fried foods and sour foods should be avoided.
- Foods that increase the stomach acids should also be reduced or avoided.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables should be taken as these reduce the inflammation in the lining of the Stomach.
- Avoid Cold beverages like cold milk , staple food, raw salad, dry food like pohas or sprouts.
- Bitter gourd, pumpkin, grapes, melons, pomegranate and cucumber are good food items for this condition.
- Plenty of water should be taken.
- Include Ghee in Diet
- Try to have semi solid diet and multiple meals , do not put long hour gaps in the meals.
Further , As per Ayurveda, food is composed of Gunas. Gunas are qualities (like cold and hot) that describe the effect of food or herb on our body.
Cooling foods like cucumber, meal of Raw Salads improves metabolism.
Heating foods like chili pepper, stimulate your body and increase metabolism