Shiro means head and Vasti means container. Shirovasti is a procedure in which oil is held in the container over the head for specific time period.
The science of Ayurveda considers the human body as an inverted tree, where the roots are at the top and the branches are pointing downwards. Here, the head is considered as the roots, and the abdomen and chest are the trunk, and the limbs are the branches.
Just like roots nurture a tree, the head is the operational center of the entire body. It consists of the brain which is the seat of consciousness and the sense organs with which we interact.
Marmas, or life centers, are the vital points in the body where the Prana or energy is converted, regulated, and stored for use by the body and mind. Shirovasthi presses certain marma points like Adhipati Marma , ( Head of the body).
- The patient first sits upright on a wooden stool.
- At Ayulife, we use leather hat and oil is poured from the top in such a way that oil does not spill or comes out of hat.
- The oil stays on the head for roughly 30 minutes and is then drained out.
- The practitioner is expected to examine the wait time until the appropriate signs of treatment manifest.
- The head is then cleaned with a cloth and afterwards, the medicated oil is massaged into the patient’s head, forehead, shoulders, palms, and soles.
Benefits of Shirovasthi
- It nourishes the Brain.
- Helps to bring mental calmness.
- Nourishes the hair root and make the hair soft & glossy.
- Helps to cure various eye disorders, Sinusitis etc.
- Improves Complexion.
- Stimulates the marma point in head
Shirovasthi is the procedure where in the medicated oil is retained on the head for a prescribed period. This oil weight presses certain Merma points like Acupuncture therapy and help in relieving the pain. The quantity of oil put in the head is almost half liter through a special hat.