In Ayurveda Potli massage is based on the massage with pouches which are made of herbs. Powdered herbs are packed in the special cloth and wrapped in form of pouch. These Potlies are heated with special medicated oils and rubbed or applied on paricular way on the painful area and helps in curing the chronic pains. The Potlies or Pouches are kept soaked and warmed in the oil. This massage is also known by other names like Kizhi.
How Kizhi massage or Potli massage benefits?
These herbal pouches or Potlies are heated in oil to certain temperature and applied to the paining area with certain duration depending upon the sensitivity of person.
When the heated potli is massaged on the body, it opens the pores and relaxes the muscles. The treatment helps to relieve pain and inflammation, improve blood circulation and flexibility. These Potlies stimulate blood flow, with in the affected area. It not only relives the pain but also strengthens the tissues and increases the luster of skin. Usually “Nadi Swedan” is clubbed with this therapy for better results.
Potli massages are broadly of two types:
- Rejuvenation & Stress Relieve.
- Pain Relief and muscle tensions.
The Potli massage is often recommended for curing :-
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Frozen shoulders.
- Sports Injury like Tennis Elbow
- Computer problems like Mouse Arm etc.
The content of the potli is specific to the illness and the person’s body.
Typical Herbs used in the Potli are:
- Ashwagandha – relives stress and improve sleep quality
- Mustard and Neem – to detoxify & Skin Care
- Turmeric and ginger – to purify mind and body
- Lemon and mint – reduces headache
- Rice and rosemary – increase blood circulation and ease tensed muscles
- Cardamom and lavender – for calming the nerves and giving a refreshing effect.