In Ayurveda, Potli massage is based on the massage with pouches which are made of herbs. . Potli massage is highly effective in the Chronic pains. This massage is also known by other names like Kizhi.
How Kizhi or Potli Massage works ?
- These herbal pouches or Potlies are made of clothes wrapped with special herbs
- Powdered herbs are packed in the special cloth and wrapped in form of pouch
- The content of the potli is specific to the illness and the person’s body..
- This potli is heated in medicated oil and applied on the painful area.
- Hot Polties opens the pores and increased the blood circulation with in the affected area.
- This relaxes the muscles. and relieves pain and inflammation,
- It not only relives the pain but also strengthens the tissues
- The Potlies or Pouches are kept soaked and warmed in the oil.
- Usually “Nadi Swedan” is clubbed with this therapy for better results.
Typical Herbs used in the Potli are:
- Ashwagandha – relives stress and improve sleep quality
- Mustard and Neem – to detoxify & Skin Care
- Turmeric and ginger – to purify mind and body
- Lemon and mint – reduces headache
- Rice and rosemary – increase blood circulation and ease tensed muscles
- Cardamom and lavender – for calming the nerves and giving a refreshing effect.
Potli Massage Video
Benefits of Potli Massage in Ayurveda
The Potli massage is often recommended for curing :-
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Frozen shoulders.
- Sports Injury like Tennis Elbow
- Computer problems like Mouse Arm etc.