Ayurveda is the most ancient therapy, all across the world. Its about 5000 years old, first time mentioned in the Rigveda. It literally means knowledge of life. The word Ayurveda is the combination of two words Ayu and Veda.
AYU means LIFE & VEDA means KNOWLEDGE
As per Rigveda, following are 2 basic principles of our constitution:
5 Elements (PanchMahabhut) in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, each individual is structurally composed of Five basic elements of Universe and these elements relate to 5 basic senses as indicated :-
- Akash : For Hearing or ear and is represented by sound ( Sense)
- Air : It represents "Touch" sense is responsible for the respiratory system.
- Fire : It is responsible for digestion and perception/Eye Sight
- Water : It is responsible for fluid in the body or Taste through tongue.
- Earth : Represents Smell sense or Nose.
3 Humors (Tridoshas) in Ayurveda
The functional aspect of the body is governed by three biological humors. Each individual has unique characteristic of VPK which is decided at time of its birth.
- Vata —a combination of ether and air & Responsible for movement in the body
- Pitta—a combination of fire and water & Governs digestion.
- Kapha—a combination of water and earth & Responsible for body fluids
Diagnosis in Ayurveda
Before treatment its important to make the right diagnosis by doctor. In Ayurveda diagnosis is carried based on the imbalance in the Tridoshas. To find the imbalanced doshas, Ayurveda Doctor needs to understand the "Prakriti" of patient and for that doctors ask certain set of queries from patient and then imbalanced dosha is found.
Find imbalanced Dosha in the body based on following symptoms:-
Reasons for imbalance in Doshas
- Vata Dosha : Late Night Sleeps, Stop Natural Urges like Urine, Stool etc , Mental Stress, Excessive Physical Exercise, absence of Ghee in Diet , Eat Cold & Preservative Food , Constipation,
- Pitta Dosha : Eating Spicy & hot food, Excessive Tea, Coffee, Constipation
- Kapha Dosha : Eat high calorie food like sugarcane juice or Extra Sugar Drinks, Excessive Sleep, Fried & Oily food, Cold drinks, Milks and Curd in Cold Weather, Bakery Products, Sedentary Lifestyle
These queries from Doctor help to understand the harmony in 'Dosha', the Tissue/Dhatu and the Impurity/Mala with each other. When all these are in balance the body will be healthy or we will be suffering from disease.
Due to these Symptoms following types of ailments are observed in patients :-
Symptoms /Ailments due to Imbalanced Doshas
- Vata Dosha : Bloating, Gastric, Body Stiffness, Joint Pains, Burping, Dry Skin, Constipation,
- Pitta Dosha : Acidity, Migraine, Burning in Chest, Sore Burps, Heat in the body, Excessive Sweating, Constipation, Skin Rashes
- Kapha Dosha : Sinusitis, Bronchitis, Heaviness in Body, Diabetics, High Cholesterol, Snoring, Lethargy, Excessive Sleep,
Treatment in Ayurveda
Broadly these are the major steps in Ayurveda treatment :-
- Nidaan Parivarjan :- Avoid Causative Factors for the origin of disease, Here the Ayurveda doctor will guide you to "Do and Donts" in your lifestyle. These could be changes in dietary lifestyle as patient is guided to avoid the "Causative factors" of the problem.
- Shaman Chikitsa : Herbal Medicines are given by doctor as symptomatic or palliative treatment to balance the Tridoshas by herbal medicines.
- Shodhan Chikitsa : Purification Procedure in which the imbalanced Dosha is eliminated from the body. Also called, Panchkarma Procedures. These are recommended to patient based on the imbalanced Doshas.
Panchakarma means “five procedures”. These five cleansing procedures remove accumulated waste materials in the body. Meant for both healthy and sick.
- Vamana - Induce vomiting with medicine
- Virechan - Cleaning the bowels with medicines
- Basti - Medicated oil Enema in Rectal Column
- Nasyam - Instilling Medication through Nose
- Leech Therapy - Blood Purification
Ayurveda comprehends Body, Mind and Spirit equally Hence Ayurveda treatment works on all.
Ayurveda - Holistic Treatment System
Ayurveda is holistic system of medicine as it offers all three treatment methods and not only cures the disease but also teaches the way of prevention i.e. teaches us the lifestyle to live healthy and free from disease.
- Symptomatic or Palliative treatment: In this treatment medicines are given to cure the symptoms usually its done at early stage of disorder or disease.
- Curative or Systemic Care: Treatment that works not only on the symptoms but overall system of body and thus treats the root cause.
- Preventive Care: Treatment where the patients are given advise before catching any disease.