In Ayurveda Panchkarma, Basti is considered as the mother of all treatments and is one of the important procedure in removing toxins from body. Its part of Shodhan Chikitsa or Panchkarma. and used in following problems :-
Procedure of Basti
Basti cleanses accumulated toxins in the intestine.
- The term ‘Basti’ literally means bag or bladder.
- This procedure is performed in the rectum column by inserting specified decoction.
- Special decoction is prepared based on the type of problem.
- It involves instilling liquids like medicated oils, herbal decoctions and milk through the perineum
- It refers to injecting of a fluid into the rectum to cause a bowel movement.
Therapeutic Properties of Basti :
- बस्तिवयः तथापस्यत्सवा सखु ायुबिलास्ननमेधातवरवणिकृ्च । सवािथकारी स्शशुवृद्धयूनां स्नरत्सययः सविगर्दापहश्च ॥
- स्वट्टश्लेष्मस्पत्तास्नलमूत्रकषी र्दाढयािवहः शुक्रबलप्रर्दश्च । स्वश्वस्क्तथिं र्दोषचयं स्नरतय सवािन्स्वकारान्शमयेस्न्नरूहः ॥
- Bastivaya: sthayatva sukhayurbalagnimedhasvarvarnakricha |
- Sarvathkari shishuvruddhayun nirtayah sarvagadapaashcha. ||
- 'Vittasleshampittanilmutrakarshi dadharyavah: Shukrabalapradashcha |
- Vishwakasthim doshachayam nirsya sarvan vikaran shmayenniruh ||
Types of Basti
- Sneha or Anuvasna Basti -- Enema with medicinal oils
- Kashaya or Nirhua Basti -- Enema with decoctions of various herbs .
In Sneha or Anuvasna Basti Oil is inserted into the body . This therapy is used to cure for Vata Related disorders.
In Kashya Basti or Nirhua Basti its made of decoctions of medicine and used for stomach related problems.
Anuvasna basti is contains only Sneha Liquid and is usually given during day time in sheeta kala and vasanta ritu.
Niruha basti is popularly known as asthapana basti, contains mix of Kashaya/Decoction and Oil. It promotes the health of individuals and gives strength to the dhatu of the diseased person
Learning Sessions or Videos on Basti
Ayulife team has created few of the video sessions which explain the benefits of Ayurveda Basti and its usage to the patients. Why any healthy or diseased patient should do the the Basti procedure.
Benefits of Basti Panchkarma Procedure
- Relieves Constipation, Bloating, Acidity
- Sexual disorders,
- Kidney Stones
- Backache, Sciatica and other joint pains.
- Vata disorders such as Arthritis, Rheumatism, Gout,
- Muscle spasms and Headaches
To know more about Basti/Enema, Pls book the appointment with Dr Shallu Garg
Refer this Article :
Katy explains the benefits of Enema: 'You definitely feel more energy, it basically like gets all the c**p out of you, every pun intended.'
Both the American Idol star and her fiancé Orlando Bloom are interested in 'new age' healing methods.
'There are ancient ways to heal yourself beside just taking a pill, which is something I always love to investigate.