Shortness of breath may be simply termed as Swasa (Asthma) and it cause difficulty in breathing . It mainly happens from respiratory system, or originating from other body system but impacts on respiratory system. Asthma is a condition in which airways get narrow and swell and produce extra mucus. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
For some people, asthma is a minor nuisance. For others, it can be a major problem that interferes with daily activities and may lead to a life-threatening asthma attack.
Asthma can’t be cured, but its symptoms can be controlled.
Its a chronic inflammatory disease of airway. It leads to recurrent episodes of wheezing, breathlessness, tightness of chest and cough particularly at night or early morning. As per Ayurveda, Swasa is mainly caused by the Vata and Kapha doshas.
Asthma signs and symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness or pain
- Trouble sleeping caused by shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing
- A whistling or wheezing sound when exhaling (wheezing is a common sign of asthma in children)
- Coughing or wheezing attacks that are worsened by a respiratory virus, such as a cold or the flu
Causes of Asthma :-
- Exercise-induced asthma, which may be worse when the air is cold and dry
- Occupational asthma, triggered by workplace irritants such as chemical fumes, gases or dust
- Allergy-induced asthma, triggered by airborne substances, such as pollen, mold spores, cockroach waste or particles of skin and dried saliva shed by pets (pet dander)
Ayurveda Treatment :-
As per the Ayurveda Bronchial Asthma is Vatakaphaja disease, it begins in the stomach, progresses to the lungs and bronchi. Hence the aim of treatment is to move the excess Kapha back to stomach and then eliminate it. For this purpose following methods are adopted.
- Snehan and Swedana
- Vamana (Therapeutic emesis)
The above Panchkarma procedures are offered based on the severity of Problem. Practice of Pranayama, laxatives, light diet in the night and use of warm water will helps in the treatment of Asthm