Shortness of breath is termed as Swasa (Asthma) and it cause difficulty in breathing. Asthma is a condition in which Nose Airways get narrow or swell and produce extra mucus. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
For some people, asthma is a minor nuisance. For others, it can be a major problem that interferes with daily activities and may lead to a life-threatening asthma attack.
Asthma can’t be cured, but its symptoms can be controlled.
Its a chronic inflammatory disease of airway. It leads to recurrent episodes of wheezing, breathlessness, tightness of chest and cough particularly at night or early morning. As per Ayurveda, Swasa is mainly caused by the Vata and Kapha doshas.
Asthma signs and symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness or pain
- Trouble sleeping caused by shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing
- A whistling or wheezing sound when exhaling (wheezing is a common sign of asthma in children)
- Coughing or wheezing attacks that are worsened by a respiratory virus, such as a cold or the flu.
Causes of Asthma:
- Asthma induced due to cold and dry weather.
- Occupational asthma, triggered by workplace irritants such as chemical fumes, gases or dust
- Allergy-induced asthma, triggered by airborne substances, such as pollen, mold spore.
- Allergy induced due to birds: Pigeons are also source of asthma
- Microbial infections of birds which can be transferred to human beings
Ayurveda Treatment :-
As per the Ayurveda Bronchial Asthma is Vatakaphaja disease, it begins in the stomach, progresses to the lungs and bronchi. Hence the aim of treatment is to move the excess Kapha back to stomach and then eliminate it. For this purpose following methods are adopted.
- Snehan and Swedana
- Vamana (Therapeutic emesis)
The above Panchkarma procedures are offered based on the severity of Problem. Practice of Pranayama, laxatives, light diet in the night and use of warm water will helps in the treatment of Asthma
To know more about the Asthma and cure the treatment book consultation with doctor.