The mmos common sports injury are Frozen Shoulder and Tennis Elbow. The details of both ailments and their Ayurveda treatment is mentioned below :
A sharp pain in the shoulders and inability to lift the arm over head is called ‘Frozen Shoulder. Shoulder joint is made up of three bones Ball-and-Socket joint ( upper arm (humerus), shoulder blade (scapula), and collarbone (clavicle). There’s tissue surrounding the shoulder joint that holds the above three bones together. This is called the shoulder capsule.
With frozen shoulder, the capsule becomes so thick and tight that it’s hard to move. Bands of scar tissue form and there’s less of a liquid called synovial fluid to keep the joint lubricated.
Ayurveda terms frozen shoulder as Apabahuka, which is a Vata and kaph imbalance.
Three Stages of Frozen Shoulder
- First Stage:- Shoulder pain occurs when any movement happens and it usually worsens at night. Pain keeps increasing and sometimes can be significant with or without movement. As a result, people tend to avoid the usage of arm which reduces the motion and motion range of shoulder. As a result shoulder starts stiffening.
- Second Stage :- When shoulder is not used at that time there is no pain. With time the shoulder’s range of motion decreases notably, and it becomes even stiffer. Routine activities gets affected badly like Hair combing or Eating Food etc.
- Third Stage (Thawing Stage) :- It is observed that after span of one and half years there is probability to have improvement in frozen shoulder by its own , called Thawing Stage. Or Symptoms come down in thawing stage
Causes of Frozen Shoulder
The main symptoms of a frozen shoulder are pain and stiffness that makes difficult or impossible to move the shoulder.
This can be caused due to Sudden jerks like Weight lifting , Excessive Exercises.
Age is also important factor , 45+ people or Diabetic Patients or players are more likely to suffer from this disease.
This is majorly caused due to Vata aggravation in the joint.
Ayurveda Treatment :
In Ayurveda the frozen shoulder is termed as Apabahuka . The line of treatment includes herbal preparations and some Panchkarma procedures.
Vata pacifying treatments like Snehan , Swedan , Pichu , Lepam are given to increase the mobility.
Nadi Swedan is performed at the affected portion to reduce the stiffness.
Applying warm sesame oil or coconut oil mixed with camphor can give pain relief.
Tennis elbow is an inflammation of the tendons/ligaments that join the forearm muscles to the elbow. Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). This painful condition occurs when tendons in elbow are overloaded, usually by repetitive motions of the wrist and arm.
Despite its name, athletes aren’t the only people who develop tennis elbow. People whose jobs feature the types of motions that can lead to tennis elbow include plumbers, painters, carpenters and butchers.
Causes of Tennis Elbow :
- The pain of tennis elbow occurs primarily where the tendons of your forearm muscles attach to a bony bump on the outside of your elbow. Pain can also spread into your forearm and wrist.
- When the muscles and n forearm are strained due to respective or strained activity
- Some times due to banging or knowing of elbow
- Manual works which involve lot of elbow movement like plumbing etc.
Ayurveda Treatment to Tennis Elbow :
Ayurvedic approach to the treatment of Tennis Elbow condition includes administration of anti-inflammatory Ayurvedic natural herbal medicines, application of medicated oils/powders to the area with mild Abhyanga with specific oils. Lepam ,herbal bandages and Pichu treatment is also recommended depending upon the severity of the condition. The treatments are aimed at improving the blood circulation and to reduce the inflammation and strain to the affected tendon rather than pain killing
To know more about clinics :
- Ayulife Ayurveda Clinic - Sohna Road
- Ayulife Ayurveda Clinic - Old Gurgaon
- Ayulife Ayurveda Center - New Gurgaon